Friday 6 July 2007

Free Hugs Campaign

Just read about this hugs campaign - some guy holding up a "Free Hugs" sign at a street in Sydney with many pedestrians. The cynic in me discarded this immediately as hippie-crap, but the hippie in me watched the video - and I have to say, I was quite moved. Apparently, this quickly spread into a fun-thing to do, random strangers hugging - male, female, old, young - and then became a global phenomenon ... free hugs in Korea, Amsterdam, Hollywood - even though the my inner cynic introvert still produces some condescending comments, I really like the concept. After all, what's wrong with bringing more friendliness into this world - living in London, the standard modus operandi is to ignore others, or look as if one is practicing for a evil-look-contest. But then again - I have tried much less than a hug, namely just smiling at random people and did not find the smile being necessarily returned - ok, those were predominantly attractive females I smiled at, but still. Anyhow, I am all for it - bring on the hugs.

1 comment:

Claremont First Ward said...

I hadn't heard of this campaign, but it is touching....especially reading his story. Next time you want to try the smile thing, borrow a dog or a kid. Works everytime! :)