Saturday 7 April 2007

Self Geo-Tagging

Further to my post below about realistic location based services, I just read about Plazes (apparently a Swiss company) - for some reason I missed that they won the Mobile Monday Global Peer Award at this year's 3GSM. The service enables users to define and share (e.g. in their blog, MySpace or - nice idea - in their email footer) their current location, tagged on Google-maps or alternatively a flash-based map, and keep an archive of where they have been in the past. The user sends an SMS of the following format to set his location:

at centre pompidou in paris
or
at sony center in berlin

The product is still in Beta, and if I wasn't too damn lazy to continuously update my location I would probably start using it. Well, may be I will give it a shot in any case.

Regarding the community aspect: one can search for other users in locations - I checked one of their biggest locations (based on size of cityname in tag-cloud on the homepage), Berlin, and there were about two dozen people displayed on the map of Berlin. If this service takes off, then a city-map would quickly become too crowded and meaningless, so the level of "search location" granularity would have to be on a street/block/specific venue level.

No comments: