Friday 20 April 2007

What? Only 669 kbps ? - Yeah, I just stumbled on it.

Two new nice tools I, well, stumbled upon. The first one: StumbleUpon. A recommendation engine somewhat similar to digg, running via its own toolbar. In setting this up one selects topic of interest (e.g. books, news, internet tools, movies, robotics etc.), downloads the toolbar as an .exe and off it goes. The space at the top of my browserscreen is now becoming a bit crowded, with the address field, the menu-items, the Yahoo toolbar, the "Links" row, two delicious buttons that take up a row of their own, the Google toolbar and now the StumbleUpon toolbar. Somebody should come up with some sort of dynamic toolbar integrator that condenses different toolbars into single buttons, and displays them on-the-fly or something.

Anyhow, the toolbar has a "Stumble" button that calls up websites from your declared areas of interest - and that have been given a thumbs-up voting by other users. You can then vote on it for yourself. And it works: the results I received so far very actually really good, most of them got a "thumbs-up" voting from me.

One site that I will definitely use more often is a network speedtest. I thought I had a 2Mbps connection - but oh well, theory and practice.

Well, according to this speedtest I am actually at 1822 kbps . I guess it depends on which server they ping to determine downlink / uplink speed - surely it is also a factor of network traffic on my broadband providers network, but does is vary that much ?

Have not tried the video feature yet, but that's next.

No comments: